Monday, March 13, 2006

Are you Eating Enough to lose fat?

Less Doesn’t Mean Loss
Gayle C. tells of something many of us can relate to: "I was fat ever since I was a child. My dad would put me on diets, and look at me funny every time I put something in my mouth. So I started skipping meals and for years I would only eat once a day and never lost a pound, gained instead. Recently I became type 2 diabetic. My doctor sent me to a dietician at the local hospital. I discovered that the reason I never lost weight and eventually became a diabetic was because I was only eating once a day. My body was in "fast" mode, meaning that everything I ate was turned into fat because I wasn't eating enough, or often enough. My metabolism was pretty well shut down, too. The dietician gave me a diet to follow. I couldn't believe all the food I was supposed to consume in one day. I also, because of my diabetes, had to start exercising. I now eat at least 4 times a day, regular food, and I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months; I don't feel deprived, and my metabolism is working, and my diabetes is in control without medication. So don't starve yourself. Eat. Or your body will protect itself by hoarding anything you put in your mouth."

No comments: